Sunday, November 01, 2009

Excellence


Yesterday I read an article about Brian Doerksen's new musical, "Prodigal God". One statement he made struck me in particular:
We're so afraid to take risks... I don't know why Christians settle for mediocrity... the best art involves taking time and getting it right.

The process of making this musical has taken him 7 years. I do think that really good art does involve a serious intent towards excellence, and that this should take time.

I bring this up not only because of my interest in the arts, especially in relation to the church (see other posts on this topic). I have also been thinking about our faith and how it influences our view on excellence in what we do. How do we do our work with excellence in such a way that it is God (not ourselves) who is glorified? Of course, ultimately God will glorify his name, but I think that understanding our part in this will help with our intents and motivation as we do our work.

2 comments:

  1. I guess Christians might worry that if they risk and fail they don't represent God well. Of course, He doesn't measure as man does, but who wants to look like a failure?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you read any Dorothy Sayer's writing on excellence in art bringing glory to God? It's good stuff. Pres. Mullen quoted her once in a chapel talk, a bit about a Christian carpenter showing himself to be a Christian by first making good tables, as surely Jesus himself would have done. If he hadn't, how would anyone credit him as being the same creator as the trees whose wood he carved?

    ReplyDelete