Thursday, April 05, 2012

Maundy Thursday?

This morning as I got ready for the day, I asked myself, what on earth does "Maundy" mean?  And what does it have to do with the account I read today in the gospels of what happened on this day?  I did some quick research, the results of which, for the sake of those who like me are sadly ignorant in these matters, I will share.

In The Companion to the Book of Common Worship, by Peter Bower (credit to Wikipedia for helping me find this!), the day is explained:
Maundy Thursday (or le mandé; Thursday of the Mandatum, Latin, commandment). The name is taken from the first few words sung at the ceremony of the washing of the feet, "I give you a new commandment" (John 13:34); also from the commandment of Christ that we should imitate His loving humility in the washing of the feet (John 13:14-17). The term mandatum (maundy), therefore, was applied to the rite of foot-washing on this day. 
As we reflect on the incredible sacrifice that Jesus made out of love for us, let us also reflect on him as our "Servant King".  As the song by Graham Kendrick goes:
This is our God, the Servant King
He calls us now to follow him
To bring our lives as daily offering
Of worship to the Servant King
How might we follow his example of loving and sacrificial service to others today?



No comments:

Post a Comment