Tuesday, August 14, 2012

work and calling

You may have noticed that my posts have been few and far between lately.  Hopefully this will not last, but at the moment I am in the midst of a move and life is very full (good, but full).  So this evening I thought I'd share with you a snippet out of what I've been reading for you to ponder.



In  The Call, Os Guinness talkes about the importance of understanding (and reclaiming!) the meaning of calling:
"Beware of anything that competes with loyalty to Jesus Christ," [Oswald Chambers] wrote.  "The greatest competitor of devotion to Jesus is service for Him.... The one aim of the call of God is the satisfaction of God, not a call to do something for Him." 
Do we enjoy our work, love our work, virtually worship our work so that our devotion to Jesus is off-center?  Do we put our emphasis on service, or usefulness, or being productive in working for God - at his expense? [...] 
We are not primarily called to do something or go somewhere; we are called to Someone.
This is a good reminder to me.  Of course in some ways it puts me more out of control, but that is a good thing I think.  How do you think your view of "calling" affects your work?  Your relationship with God?

No comments:

Post a Comment