Sunday, May 02, 2010

has praying gone out of style? (or was it every in style?)

I have a quantum exam tomorrow but I have started a new book this week so I think I will briefly quote from that. The book is called Praying and it is co-authored by Packer and Nystrom. This section, however, is a quotation from "A Call to Prayer" by John Charles Ryle (1852). Here are a few excerpts which struck me:

Have you forgotten that it is not fashionable to pray? It is one of the things that many would be rather ashamed to own....

Praying and sinning will never live together in the same heart. Prayer will consume sin, or sin will choke prayer. I cannot forget this. I look at men's lives. I believe that few pray.

Brethren who pray, if I know anything of a Christian's heart, you are often sick of your own prayers... The devil has special wrath against us when he sees us on our knees...

... Whatever else you make a business of, make a business of prayer.

Tell me what a man's prayers are, and I will soon tell you the state of his soul. Prayer is the spiritual pulse... Oh, let us keep an eye continually upon our private devotions.

2 comments:

  1. Prayer is possibly the hardest aspect of my relationship with God. It seems like it ought to be the most straightforward - it is the most tangibly like being in a relationship with a fellow human being - and it is also so unlike that.

    The quote about being sick of one's own prayers - it's good to know that I'm not the only one to ever feel this way, and that is in fact encouraging me to persevere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder and challenge dear friend! One of my favorite quotes fits in with this - both a challenge AND a huge encouragement/promise:

    "The great fault of the children of God is they do not continue in prayer; they do not persevere. If they desire anything for God's glory, they should pray until they get it."

    -George Mueller

    ReplyDelete